Current Weather @ 03:05 AM Overcast at 8000 ft Temp 58.3º Humidity 93% Winds SE 0.0mph Max Gust 4.0mph
Todays Extremes High 59.3º Low 58.2º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 0"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 03:00 AM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 41 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 43 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 62 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 68 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 37 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 37 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 338, Members: 0 ...

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5564
Newest member: TiffainyLLcamp
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
Polar Orbit

Upcoming Birthdays:
Jul 24 inJChands
Jul 24 Bev G
Jul 25 butterflyaway
Jul 25 jim293
Jul 25 Mackie
Jul 25 Firefly
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: HISTORY OF BIG BEAR
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

movie theaters in BB

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
BSF
Thu Aug 13 2009, 10:07PM

Bills Sons Friend
Registered Member #1493
:
BG: the Bruen theater was the little drive in by Joes barber shop. BSF

nicks friend
3B
Thu Aug 13 2009, 11:57PM
Guest:
I forgot about Sprouse Ritz #2 being there as well.
bills grandson
Fri Aug 14 2009, 12:09AM

Registered Member #659
:
actualy it was our number one. first"new" style store of it's type in the valley. We did have cornet, and old faithful western auto which carried almost everything you needed in big bear. including car parts, tires. Very specialized for the valley

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
bills grandson
Fri Aug 14 2009, 01:48AM

Registered Member #659
:
I lived just across the street to the east and we would go in during the building and prowl around after they were done for the day. the leaded the pipe joints and we collected the scrap lead. I made fishing weigts and weigts for dive belts over the years.
As brandon said the safeway was very nice had a TV tube tester and a rotiseree where they cooked bbq chickens. The smell was incredible. I learned my winter driving on the snow covered parking lot

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Skyline Drive
Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:45AM

Registered Member #191
:
I was having a moment and forgot we had 2 Thrifty Drug stores for a bit. The one in the old safeway and the new one at interlocken. Palace Arcade was in the old old Safeway across from Chads.

I hope My Indian test pattern avatar makes snowflakes melt
Skyline Drive
Fri Aug 14 2009, 07:08AM

Registered Member #191
:
One of the thing about the shows. It took forever to get the new movies up here, They would be out for months before making it up here. For awhile we only had the Drive-In at Spencer and no walk in. When they went in and excavated the dirt out of the old bowling alley after it burned for the theater in town it only had one screen. Most of the shows were double features. One really old move and one new one. If you did not like the shows wait till next Thursday or go down the hill with the date.

I remember being at the drive-in and it started to snow. The beam of the projector light illuminating the snow and missing spots on the screen as it fell, made you dizzy. You would also have start the car all the time to get the heater going, Blankets were a must and getting close to keep warm. Sneaking in was such a bust. People would drive by the drive-in going west on the highway then turn left up cienega and stop, drop off the cameo troop’s in black then drive around to the ticket booth, One ticket please. Wow we had a lot of traffic in the old days and the ticket booth had a great view of the whole deal. You could sit in your car and watch the whole thing unfold if the movie sucked. They probably had to put the sit down area in the drive-in as a lot of the older cars the heater sucked or the heater core was leaking.

I hope My Indian test pattern avatar makes snowflakes melt
Socalsnowman
Fri Aug 14 2009, 09:46AM

Socalman
Registered Member #228
:
As a kid in the summers up there we used to talk blankets and sneak under the fence on the west end of the Peter Pan drive-in and watch the movie. We'd put the blankets on the ground in the back and turn the sound up on a couple of the speakers. Free fun for us, even if the sound sucked.
Hofnerguy
Mon Mar 08 2010, 11:11PM

Registered Member #1933
:
My father owned the village theater from 1974-83. As a matter of fact, he named it the village theater from the big bear theater.

[Click Here]
GWTWTOO
Wed Jul 10 2019, 09:05PM
Registered Member #1890
:
Hi, all, I am a bit confused and am hoping someone can clear this up. Where was the Cub Theater? Someone mentioned it was where there was Joe's Barber shop was and then someone else mentions a Bruens Theater being there. Can someone help me figure out where these two theaters were? Thanks, Mark
Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top