Current Weather @ 11:05 AM Clear skies Temp 69.9º Humidity 13% Winds ENE 5.0mph Max Gust 11.5mph
Todays Extremes High 69.9º Low 28.6º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 11:00 AM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): CLOSED   
Highland to Run Spr  (330): CLOSED   
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 21 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 67 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 72 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 36 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 38 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 429, Members: 5 ...
Van
kleines Kanu
Silvana
Des2Mtn
MtnBluebird

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6831
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: FIRE DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Be Prepared - Emergency Evacuation List

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
SCM ALERT🚨
Fri Sep 11 2020, 11:59AM

Automated Alert Robot

:
Thank you Debbie! Boy, this is a great thread. I can see that it has been revived a couple other times also! Awesome to have this resource!

==============
SCM Automated Alerts
v3.0 2-2020 AI Provided by Amazon Web Services
-------------------------- -----------------------------------
Follow the Latest Real-time Information on SCM
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
YouTube (Link): [Click Here]
---------------------------------- -
SCM COMMUNITY OF SITES:
socalmountains.com
bigbearscanner. com
bensweather.com
palmspringscann er.com
deserttechservices.com
rimtr affic.com
mountainart
Sun Sep 13 2020, 09:44AM

Registered Member #42113
:
Everyone should have an evac plan with multiple egress routes away from heavy fire danger areas. After seeing the 15 day fire at Cajon Pass several years ago that took out all those stopped vehicles on the highway, you need to realize that modern vehicles with mostly plastic bodywork will auto ignite if open fire and IR radiation gets within several yards.

In the fires in Greece and surrounding countries you can see the lines of hundreds of cars all stuck in traffic jams that burned, while surrounding forest on the edge did not burn.

This is a very real danger that most people do not even think about, asall it takes is one new Subie or Kia plasric bodywork to ignite, then that heat rises above threshold to ignite vehicles around it, this then just marches down the line of traffic, and eventually a mile of vehicles are toast, even if the wildfire didn't make it to that local roadside foliage.

All it took for the last potential disaster on 18 North was for that person towing the boat to get stuck on the switchbacks above Mitsubishi Plant. 8 hours of jam. Imagine if the actual flames of wildfire had reached those several thousand vehicles stuck bumper to bumper, with no way to escape.

My personal experience, with a few wildfires that came close to Kalispell MT area when we were living there, was everyone local had had past experience, and knew to go gather in the open lands areas. In Big Bear, the ideal place would be Baldwin lake, if dry enough to park on, as there is no trees/bushes/overgrowth big enough to create the deadly IR effect. Even if there is a grass fire scenario, the flame front is always small enough, usually just a few feet of actual burning, that it is easy and safer to just drive over to a burned area(been there, done that).

If a big fire eventually does make it's way into the big bear/residential areas, That is what my family would do. Vital tip: to have a military surplus style gas mask for every member of your party, will make the difference between surviving the deadly smoke and ash levels, which will turn the air in the valley into deadly choking gas attack.
mimoo
Sun Sep 13 2020, 11:58AM
Registered Member #549
:
Thank you all, for taking the time to help all of us get organized in case of an evacuation.
bunnysmom
Wed Sep 16 2020, 10:10AM
Registered Member #1727
:
Don’t forget the chargers for all those electronic devices to!!!

bunnysmom
mountainart
Wed Sep 16 2020, 10:21AM

Registered Member #42113
:
bunnysmom wrote ...

Don’t forget the chargers for all those electronic devices to!!!

Buy the solar ones. when we go out to desert and BLM remote mountain areas to go rockhounding trips, there are surprisingly a few areas that get cell signal miles and miles from the nearest human habitation. Our solar packs keep phones charged up, aswell as our solar safari roof onone of our suburbans.
MountainDreamin
Wed Sep 16 2020, 03:00PM
Registered Member #9098
:
mountainart- Thank you for your informative and cool-headed explanation of what can happen to vehicles.

The Baldwin Lake site sounds great -- especially for non-evacuees who have held out but simply MUST leave their homes last-minute. Or for livestock (including zoo animals) who cannot be transported off the mountain! I wonder if the authorities have even thought of Baldwin as a gathering site...
BurroBurrow
Fri Sep 18 2020, 07:53AM

Registered Member #97504
:
Thinking ahead - If evacuated what proof does a person need to get back up here when it opens back up? What is acceptable and what is not? Spouse has new DL with address and I have dump card with my name and also bills. Thinking about a friend who is staying up here who doesn't have anything with address. What can he use? Would a signed letter from us saying that he's temporarily up here work? Or does it have to be more official? He's gotten a few pieces of mail up here at a PO box but not sure he kept any of that. Would that work?

ETA - just asked in chat as well since he is worried and asking me what he needs.
Rumor Mill
Fri Sep 18 2020, 06:09PM

Registered Member #191
:
Hook up your garden hose make it long and stretch it out with a spry nozzle on the end connect it to your hose bib leave it in plane sight. If they are doing structure protection spot fires its ready also lean a ladder up on the roof for fireman to access. They say to open curtains and leave lights on to see the house. This is if you have to evacuate.

Millennia’s sorry to tell you that there is no Santa Clause, no Easter Bunny, No Tooth Fairy, Have a great day
wisteria1
Fri Sep 18 2020, 07:39PM
Registered Member #13362
:
burrow, when I had to evacuate in 2007 to get back up we needed both a picture ID to establish identity and something with both our name and street address (utility bill, insurance bill, etc) to establish residency to get past the checkpoint. A PO box didn't count. I don't know what about your friend - a rental agreement perhaps from wherever he's staying? That's the only thing I can think of that would be legal.
mountainart
Sat Sep 19 2020, 10:33AM

Registered Member #42113
:
Many people up here have drivers licenses with the BBC post office po box they were assigned ( because PO does not deliver mail to much of east side valley.)

Drivers license showing 92314 zip code "should" logically establish residency, anyone have any stories or info on issues with 5his in the past?
Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top