Current Weather @ 6:11 PM Clear skies Temp 63.2º Humidity 21% Winds ENE 0.0mph Max Gust 14.0mph
Todays Extremes High 72.5º Low 28.6º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 06:00 PM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 21 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 20 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 63 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 63 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 35 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 484, Members: 5 ...
Squatch
HazMatMind
kaster
Codger
Humble Daisy

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6831
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Verizon Service - Forest Falls/Mountain Home Village/Angelus Oaks?

Author Post
Big Pink
Fri Sep 25 2020, 01:04PM Email Thread Print View
Registered Member #165230
:
I live in Forest Falls, and like many others in the three noted towns, have not had any real cell/internet service since the El Dorado Fire burned the lines along HWY 38.

Have not received any notification from Verizon about any efforts/schedule, even though I've called their support number 800.922.0204 twice (dropped both times) and tried their "chat line" (no response).

ATT already has had a mobile tower setup at the top of the HWY 38 straightaway before the Forest Falls turn-off and are taking care of their customers, even though I understand it might be due to a contractual obligation with the various first responder agencies.

I pay over $200/month for services that are not being fulfilled.

Is there a better way to contact Verizon to pressure them to take care of their customers (Facebook, Yelp, etc.)?

Otherwise I, and hopefully all other effected local Verizon customers, will take my money to their competition (ATT)...
ButlerPeakFire
Fri Sep 25 2020, 01:31PM

Lake Arrowhead
Registered Member #13200
:
Call/Chat with Verizon. They will send you an internet based "mini tower" for free. It uses your internet to increase your service area. I went from 1 bar to 4 bars and incredibly consistent 4G.

Glad you are alright down there. Stay safe.

Big Pink
Fri Sep 25 2020, 02:16PM
:
I already tried to contact them (see above). I already have 2 MiFi devices (look like hockey pucks), but won't connect (same with my cell phone).

My wife told me that even though Verizon has a tower in Forest Falls, it is reportedly hard-wired to a landline that was strung along the SCE power poles because no straight-line air spaces from valley towers were possible. Like the SCE power poles/lines, this landline burned during the fire, effectively disconnecting the Verizon tower from their system.

This means that until they string new wiring up to Forest Falls, which is totally dependent on when SCE can re-install poles/wires up to Forest Falls first, the in-town tower likely won't work, even when SCE powers-up Forest Falls with generators, reportedly on Monday 20200928.

It would be nice to get feedback/comments directly from Verizon on this website...
Not Kidding
Fri Sep 25 2020, 02:25PM

Registered Member #159755
:
ButlerPeakFire wrote ...

Call/Chat with Verizon. They will send you an internet based "mini tower" for free. It uses your internet to increase your service area. I went from 1 bar to 4 bars and incredibly consistent 4G.

BP, that is great information, we run into that problem frequently on the west end of Fawnskin near the dam, will be calling them Monday to get one of those, thanks!

You can't make this stuff up
ButlerPeakFire
Sun Sep 27 2020, 12:10AM

Lake Arrowhead
Registered Member #13200
:
Oh you have MiFi....a mini tower won't work for you. Must be the reason they won't send you a mini tower. You need an actual wired internet connection to allow the mini tower to work.

My mistake.

ButlerPeakFire
Sun Sep 27 2020, 12:13AM

Lake Arrowhead
Registered Member #13200
:
Not Kidding wrote ...

ButlerPeakFire wrote ...

BP, that is great information, we run into that problem frequently on the west end of Fawnskin near the dam, will be calling them Monday to get one of those, thanks!

You're welcome! PM me with any questions.

SCM ALERT🚨
Sun Sep 27 2020, 11:15AM

Automated Alert Robot

:
Big Pink,
Sounds like their infrastructure is really compromised. I really don't know of any other secret contact methods. I am surprised they wouldn't have a COW (Cellular on wheels) there very quickly. I most certainly would not pay them for any outage periods. I can reach out to my corporate rep (we have a big contract with them at the ski resorts) but I highly doubt that will do anything. There must be some other Verizon customers in FF that can chime in? You could also try their other number 1-800-837-4966 for customer issues. Will be curious to know where this ends up going.
Take care BP and glad you are safe!
-Craig

==============
SCM Automated Alerts
v3.0 2-2020 AI Provided by Amazon Web Services
-------------------------- -----------------------------------
Follow the Latest Real-time Information on SCM
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
YouTube (Link): [Click Here]
---------------------------------- -
SCM COMMUNITY OF SITES:
socalmountains.com
bigbearscanner. com
bensweather.com
palmspringscann er.com
deserttechservices.com
rimtr affic.com
Jellylorum
Sun Sep 27 2020, 03:46PM

Registered Member #2069
:
Perhaps call your rep for the Board of Supervisors. County employees using employer-issued cell phones for work use Verizon. If SBCO employees working in the area (roads, CPS, Building and Safety, Environmental Health, Animal Care and Control, etc.) don't have cell service, perhaps the Board can get them to hurry up on repairs or getting a temp relay set up.

Roads and ACC also use radios, so it might not make much difference, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Big Pink
Mon Sep 28 2020, 10:46AM
:
Hi Craig:

Thanks for the thoughts.

If you do contact Verizon, please see if they will respond directly to this post for all to see...

Best,
Big Pink
AB BikeHikeRun
Mon Sep 28 2020, 11:11AM
Registered Member #165050
:
I intend to sign up for Starlink internet service (using SpaceX satellites) at the earliest opportunity, hopefully sometime in 2021. Even during long-ish (multi-hour) power outages in Arrowbear, our cable and cellular service cannot be relied upon.

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top