Current Weather @ 7:46 PM Clear skies Temp 47.9º Humidity 27% Winds NE 0.0mph Max Gust 14.0mph
Todays Extremes High 73.7º Low 29.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 07:30 PM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 22 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 22 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 66 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 65 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 33 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 34 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 521, Members: 8 ...
HazMatMind
Sportyj
Tlingit
-WINGNUT-
Van
kaster
bernermom
holeinbow

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6830
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Vacation Rental Issues

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
BurroBurrow
Mon Aug 24 2020, 09:30AM

Registered Member #97504
:
I think if renters act like idiots we are well within our rights to call them idiots. We live in a very quiet neighborhood so maybe loud, rude renters are just more noticeable? IDK? Sound travels up here especially when it's hot and everyone has their windows open. We're not near the slopes, the lake or downtown where renters seem to be more common. This is our experience from this past weekend. This is not the best nor the worst of what we see every week. And it's not just weekends any more either. It's any day.

4 pm Friday - renters drive up and immediately start yelling and hollering in the driveway. 4-5 cars with over a dozen people. The maximum in this place is 15 so all legal. They turn on the music and practically live on the upper front deck which towers over the rest of the homes here. Talking very loud and continually whooping and cheering.

9 pm Friday I call the management company and tell them that they are very loud and even though they technically have til 10 pm to be out on decks can they please call or text and tell them to quiet down. I know they called because right after that the renters were yelling "Ok, who called on us? Who called??" Not fun to hear. Then someone kicks over a can or bag of all the empty cans and bottles. Twice. Lovely sound in the mountain evening.

2 am Saturday - the party and noise has continued and then the firetruck and ambulance arrive. No sirens but they leave their vehicles running and it takes some time before they take one renter out on a gurney. After that it's fairly quiet which I would have expected. I actually was stupid enough to think the rest of their stay would be quiet.

Noon on Saturday - it's all starts up again. Another neighbor called code enforcement at 12:30 pm. A person wearing mask with paperwork arrived about 3:30 pm and entered house.

3:45 pm Saturday - they have closed some windows but still are very loud. They could be heard shouting chug! chug! chug! several times.

8:30 pm Saturday - a female is retching and throwing up on or over the top deck for several minutes. About 15 minutes later we hear a male doing the same thing. Lots of loud hawking and spitting as well. Really wonderful during these times.

Sunday morning - as all groups have done before, they come out to pack up their cars, talking loudly, beeping their car locks several times and then taking pictures in front of the house to capture their wonderful summer vacation. As they drive off they shout and wave to each other and honk their horns as they head home.

Sunday morning - I call the management company to let them know about the vomit since this is a pet friendly rental and I wouldn't want my dog to find what they left. Didn't seem real concerned, I guess they deal with this all the time?

My opinion - these are what they call the Ugly Americans. They are loud, rude, have no respect for others, they want what they want when they want it and to hell with everyone else. They have a sense of entitlement that is mind boggling and are so arrogant. I don't think they care if they lose their $1000 deposit or get fined from code enforcement. Supposedly it's a $250 fine each time code has to come out. Have we had nice people, quiet families rent this place? Sure we have, but the majority are what I've described above. And keep in mind this was just one weekend. Now we wait for the next weekend and then the holiday weekend.
cricket
Mon Aug 24 2020, 04:35PM

Registered Member #39
:
I had to call police to shut them up. Not to mention asthma due to insane amount of pot smoke com in thru my windows. Yesterday morning had the pleasure if walking my dog on a leash in my fenced backyard (they throw garbage into my yard and worse so I now have to walk her on a leash in our own fenced yard) and got to see one of them pull out his male appendage and urinate off their back deck steps into the back yard.

Summer will be here soon!
Squatch
Mon Aug 24 2020, 08:12PM

Registered Member #13843
:
cricket wrote ...

I had to call police to shut them up. Not to mention asthma due to insane amount of pot smoke com in thru my windows. Yesterday morning had the pleasure if walking my dog on a leash in my fenced backyard (they throw garbage into my yard and worse so I now have to walk her on a leash in our own fenced yard) and got to see one of them pull out his male appendage and urinate off their back deck steps into the back yard.

Hmmm, based on some of your past snide posts...maybe it`s you, not them!
Always 2 sides to a story!
Airport Razz
Mon Aug 24 2020, 08:54PM
Registered Member #7434
:
I can sympathize with Cricket. One of our Caretaking clients, not a vacation cabin, has full time rental next door that thinks the next door property is their personal ashtray. At any given point I can pick up 1-2 coffee cans worth of butts. Rental owner a complete putz, not enough 'damage' for the city to get involved and fire department to busy to be bothered (they were in the middle of the tax fight crisis then lol). Of course when I try and talk to the butt flickers No Habla all of a sudden, after standing there listening to him cuss his cousin and kids out. A good portion of the population are just trash and a waste of protoplasm for the most part.
MtMan
Mon Aug 24 2020, 09:26PM

Registered Member #110
:
When we go to the eastern Sierra, and trash problem up there, both literal and people wise. Some just have no problem trashing the area. This problem is only getting worse every year.

Shut Up and Fish!
Shibbergish
Wed Aug 26 2020, 01:07PM
Registered Member #48183
:
The level of irresponsibility has ratcheted up to insane levels this summer. It is as though the IDIOTS (go ahead, come after me and get trounced) care only about that one last party before Coronavirus/unemployment/ starvation/"peaceful" protests/the total collapse of everything make such lifestyle choices impossible.

Trash, noise, commotion and loud parties have been going on somewhere in the neighborhood almost every day and night for the past two months. As we have tried to adjust to the constant disturbance, the last two renters across the street brought a new element with them: loud, booming, thumping, urban, sub-woofer bass car stereos, turned up to infinity.

Needless to say, complaints to the rental management company and county code enforcement have brought zero relief. That lingering notion it's time to move to northern Canada has been promoted to the top of the list.

Here is a typical week at the nearest short-term rental.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the county code enforcement complaint page:

[Click Here]

Maybe if everybody starts hitting that site every day, the county will begin to get the message these short-terms rentals have become a real problem.
Airport Razz
Wed Aug 26 2020, 01:42PM
Registered Member #7434
:
The county/city employess that we deal with every day are more than aware of the crap situation. Problem comes from upper levels of government with lack of personel, funds, equipement, and desire to cut off a very lucrative tax source. Until those people are convinced that the almighty tax dollar while nice will do them no good if they have no full time locals to pay the rest of the taxes. Basically translates into nobody that counts cares. 20K locals can't be that much of a problem.
Wrk24wheel
Wed Aug 26 2020, 04:33PM
Registered Member #147084
:
Shibbergish wrote ...

The level of irresponsibility has ratcheted up to insane levels this summer. It is as though the IDIOTS (go ahead, come after me and get trounced) care only about that one last party before Coronavirus/unemployment/ starvation/"peaceful" protests/the total collapse of everything make such lifestyle choices impossible.

Trash, noise, commotion and loud parties have been going on somewhere in the neighborhood almost every day and night for the past two months. As we have tried to adjust to the constant disturbance, the last two renters across the street brought a new element with them: loud, booming, thumping, urban, sub-woofer bass car stereos, turned up to infinity.

Needless to say, complaints to the rental management company and county code enforcement have brought zero relief. That lingering notion it's time to move to northern Canada has been promoted to the top of the list.

Here is a typical week at the nearest short-term rental.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the county code enforcement complaint page:

[Click Here]

Maybe if everybody starts hitting that site every day, the county will begin to get the message these short-terms rentals have become a real problem.

Could not have said this better myself! My neighbors and I are fed up with the noise from all of these COVID parties. Most don't even start until around 10:30pm and go until the early mornings. Week after week. We call code enforcement but get the standard response. There just is not enough people to enforce this and the police will do nothing. I think we need to file complaints with the city about these rentals over and over as the rental companies are more concerned with not upsetting their renters than they are with helping out the full time residents. It used to be just the weekends, now it is throughout the entire week. There are three rentals behind me that can be heard for blocks when they have their loud parties. I have talked to neighbors a couple of blocks away that have said that they could not sleep due to the amount of noise. Try being the house right behind them! Ear plugs have not worked for some of these parties. I have only lived up here for four years now and this is the worst I have ever seen it. I can't remember the last time I have ever seen the proper amount of people and cars in some of these homes. I almost feel sorry for some of the owners as I know the house has to be trashed after some of these groups leave. I also know it comes down to the rental company. The house behind us used to be rented to nothing but young families. Now they changed rental companies and it is only rented to crowds of young kids. I have not seen a single family in that house since the change. It would be nice if there was some way that the city could go after the rental companies, then maybe something would change. Enough fines to the rental companies and maybe they would better vet their clientele or at least control them or through them out if they do not follow the current regulations.
MtMan
Wed Aug 26 2020, 06:01PM

Registered Member #110
:
I don't think the city or county will go after the rental agencies. I really don't know what the solution is for this problem. Protests in front of the rental agencies with loud megaphones directed at the building along with tasteful signs? Protests in front of the city hall or at their scheduled meetings with the same megaphones? In front of the sheriff's office with the same? What do you people that actually have to deal with this crap say about solutions?

Shut Up and Fish!
Airport Razz
Wed Aug 26 2020, 06:34PM
Registered Member #7434
:
Here's a thought. Let's start a club with the membership being owners and full time renters that are tired of this BS and when one of the other members has one of these out of hand parties and the city/county/cops fail to do what they promised they would do, we all show up, masks and SD of course, and start raising our own hell and be obnoxious to the party renters. We can park behind them, slam doors, honk horns, flash lights into the windows, stand out in the street and talk crap about city people, bang some trash cans. Just do our best to be the biggest pains and hopefully piss them off enough to leave, at least to call the city/county/cops . My question is will the city/county/cops do anything? probably, because as locals we should know better? Our tax dollars don't count as much as the renter taxes? I think this would be an interesting idea and might make a point with the powers that be???? Thoughts??

Side note: years ago I had a condo right above summit main parking lot and when it snowed 3 tractors were out there at 3AM moving snow. Not a big deal. The back up alarms were though. After many complaints to summit and the city, I finally went 'dirty'. I got ahold of Dick Kunz private phone number and the next 3AM show I called him and held the phone out my window. Never heard another back up alarm at night ever again. Sometimes you have to pull them through the muck with you to get their attention.
Go to page   <<        >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top