Current Weather @ 8:16 PM Clear skies Temp 45.6º Humidity 28% Winds E 3.0mph Max Gust 14.0mph
Todays Extremes High 73.7º Low 29.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 08:00 PM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 21 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 22 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 67 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 65 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 451, Members: 6 ...
BootsNBridles
Dave™
Christopher
sned (KT7P)
seal20
Skier

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6830
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Vacation Rental Issues

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
Airport Razz
Tue Sep 22 2020, 01:14PM
Registered Member #7434
:
Also there is a very good chance that those numbers, if 'realistic', would only be the rentals 'permitted' and that the city is aware of. No way will that include all the illegal and backdoor rentals out there.
Airport Razz
Tue Sep 22 2020, 01:42PM
Registered Member #7434
:
BBL n 805 wrote ...

My gosh, asking for "suggestions"?

There are already a load of regulations, rules and laws on the books which address every single issue we are all having to endure.

Being asked for suggestions is only LIP SERVICE.

Want a suggestion Mr. City Manager? Do your job and stop dancing around the problem..

Nailed it pretty good here. Yes, there are very good regulations on the books and they can work, if they are used, applied and biggest problem here, followed through with. City has fallen on it's face since Mosely retired for the 3rd time. I know he was making life miserable for most but he had the right idea and was going in the right general direction. Then he and the city got pushed really hard by the brick and mortar companies and some really stupid decisioins were made that obviously benifited the big guys and just took a big bird dump on the responsible owners. Way to many unpermitted rentals out there, way to many permitted rentals that shoudn't be passed are out there. Not enough personel that care, or even enough to fill the seats and no one at city hall has an inklilng of just what the heck is going on, other than, are your permit fees paid and are you bed taxes current. Answer yes to both of those and you can pretty much do whatever the heck you want. Place is permitted for 6, go ahead and have that frat reunion of 16, no one gonna care, at least ones that matter.

Suggestions?? As stated before.........DO YOUR JOB AND MAKE SOME INTELLIGENT DECISIONS!! Kind of simple when you think about it.
Mtngrl
Tue Sep 22 2020, 01:49PM

Registered Member #45933
:
I'm not giving them suggestion. I'm letting them have it. And telling them that if they refuse to do their jobs they are out. Vote them out and get competent people in who can. RECALL!

BTW Temecula is phasing out rentals by 2021, Palm Desert has put a moratorium on them, I read all the problems Palm Springs is having and Los Angeles residents want them gone.,
Mtngrl
Tue Sep 22 2020, 02:13PM

Registered Member #45933
:
Hi Butler Peak, sounds as if the resents need to get together like all us here in Bear Valley. Do some reading on the cities. It sounds as if everyone is at the breaking point regarding these rentals. Many who buy here don't care a fig about the mountain communities. All they want is to make a quick buck
BurroBurrow
Tue Sep 22 2020, 02:17PM

Registered Member #97504
:
Ignorance is bliss and it may very well be a manipulated, manufactured bliss. STRs bring in enough money and the management companies are so big that the real story is ignored. I will say that I have tried to comment online on articles about crowds and rentals in The Grizzly several times and they have not printed my comments. I've been very careful to follow the rules they have listed and every time, my comments do not show up. Wondering how many times this has happened to others? All the freebie magazines up here are full of ads from the rental companies. And the newspaper has their ads too. Are they being that careful not to bite the hand that feeds them? I think that a newspaper should not shy away from the truth, I think they should at least be open to hearing what people who live here think.
ButlerPeakFire
Tue Sep 22 2020, 02:19PM

Lake Arrowhead
Registered Member #13200
:
Mtngrl they are voting to give access to the Lake for these rentals. Arrowhead is a private lake right now with access only to homeowners; not renters. This is all managed by the ALA. I have heard rumors that there will also be a vote to ban some of these rentals. Regardless, you are right. We need to all stick together and get these issues figured out. I know there are several cities that have banned AirBnb or have restricted it greatly. So it can be done.

Mtngrl
Tue Sep 22 2020, 03:10PM

Registered Member #45933
:
I hope for you guys lake arrowhead bans them. Hopefully if we all stick together bear valley will too

Airport Razz
Tue Sep 22 2020, 03:29PM
Registered Member #7434
:
BurroBurrow wrote ...

Ignorance is bliss and it may very well be a manipulated, manufactured bliss. STRs bring in enough money and the management companies are so big that the real story is ignored. I will say that I have tried to comment online on articles about crowds and rentals in The Grizzly several times and they have not printed my comments. I've been very careful to follow the rules they have listed and every time, my comments do not show up. Wondering how many times this has happened to others? All the freebie magazines up here are full of ads from the rental companies. And the newspaper has their ads too. Are they being that careful not to bite the hand that feeds them? I think that a newspaper should not shy away from the truth, I think they should at least be open to hearing what people who live here think.

Our local bastion of news, The Grizzly, has made it very clear over the years of just where thier loyalties lie. Selective reporting, downrigrt supression sometimes, but nasty things and things not to be discussed with the general public just have a magical way of disappearing while people are still asking HEY WHAT HAPPENED and all we hear about is the next meeting of the garden club. Example. 3 men wantonly murdered while sleeping in thier station wagon parked along side the highway in Boulder Bay. Had news that the suspects had crashed on the way DTH, was picked up by someone going down to the city and dropped them off in Rialto I believe...........and SCENE. All we ever heard, and all we ever will. Bad press is a no no up here.
Mtngrl
Tue Sep 22 2020, 04:25PM

Registered Member #45933
:
Interesting. Its like attempting to post a conservative view in a liberal newspaper. Sounds like they all have their hands in the cookie jar.
BaughHumbug
Tue Sep 22 2020, 05:58PM
Registered Member #12727
:
With Mr. Rush's e-mail newsletter of today, I decided to have a look at the "current" (dated 2007, so 13 years old) STR Ordinance for the city of Big Bear Lake. It has been mentioned on various sites that the (909) 866-CODE call-in number for complaints is now being answered remotely in Utah. So I was surprised to read that the current code states that the office must be maintained in the city of BB Lake itself. Sounds like one more thing that "the city" has pushed through on their own accord.

Quote: Page 4 Ordinance No. 2007-375 "C": On-Call Service. In order to provide twenty-four hours, on-call service for the receipt and transmission of complaints regarding violations of Section 17.03.310 or this Section, the City shall, in compliance with all applicable laws, procure the services of one or more on-call service provider(s). Any such provider shall be required to maintain an office with employees physically present within the boundaries of the City of Big Bear Lake. In addition, any such provider shall has sufficient qualifications as may be deemed necessary by the City Manager, as set forth in written regulations promulgated by the City Manager.

Looks like one more thing to bring to the council's attention.
Go to page   <<        >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top