Current Weather @ 8:26 PM Clear skies Temp 45.2º Humidity 28% Winds E 2.0mph Max Gust 14.0mph
Todays Extremes High 73.7º Low 29.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 08:00 PM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 21 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 22 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 67 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 65 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 429, Members: 7 ...
holeinbow
Dave™
Van
Christopher
seal20
Casadelgado
Skier

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6831
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Homeowner's Insurance & Fire Hazard Issues

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
Jellylorum
Thu Dec 19 2019, 09:34AM Email Thread Print View

Registered Member #2069
:
Listing of zip codes in which the insurance commissioner says policies cannot be cancelled until December 5, 2020.

[Click Here]
Jellylorum
Thu Dec 19 2019, 09:39AM

Registered Member #2069
:
I am hearing that if you do go with California Fair Plan, it comes with consequences.

You, the policy holder may be required to make your property very fire safe. You may be asked to rebuild decks, remove trees large and small, etc.

Your neighbors, even if NOT policy holders, may also be required to comply with things like tree and brush removal.
rlyans
Thu Dec 19 2019, 03:06PM
Registered Member #2076
:
Yes your right. Gives us another year...
I’ve been working with and waiting for the insurance commissioner’s office to update the easy fires zip code. I was told 92314 and 92315 would be up soon. It was up finally this morning. Yeah! Gives us another year.

rlyans

Deb Doodah⭐
Fri Dec 20 2019, 08:25AM

:
Here is some information that you might find helpful regarding insurance on the mountain. My husband is in the insurance industry (not selling) and we have a place on the mountain - so he keeps close tabs on the information as it comes out.

This is the moratorium for not nonrenewing policies in the effected burn areas. Keep in mind I do believe the moratorium is good for one year.

This part is key, meaning anyone in the listed zips who have been sent notices of cancellation or nonrenewal because they live near a fire area, those notices have to be rescinded.

In addition, all admitted and non-admitted insurers writing residential property insurance in the state of California must offer to rescind any notices of cancellation or non-renewal issued since the Governor’s October 11, 25, or 27, 2019 Declarations, respectively, and offer to reinstate or renew the policies in place at the time of Declaration, if any such notices of cancellation or nonrenewal were issued on or after the date of the Declaration, were due to wildfire risk, and the properties are located in ZIP Codes identified by this bulletin.
BBL n 805
Sat Dec 21 2019, 09:26AM
Registered Member #29178
:
Well here's some first hand experience with this...We have had Travelers for years and received a non-renewal notice in October. We've been shopping for our options to place a new policy at the end of this month when AMAZINGLY our zip is added to the list of "protected" policies. Yeah!

Not so much.

Travelers has agreed to "renew" the old policy at $4,100.

It was $1,300 last year.

Gee thanks Travelers.
Jellylorum
Sat Dec 21 2019, 10:02AM

Registered Member #2069
:
An issue I ran into years ago:

My mortgage is set up with PITI. When I received a cancellation notice, they informed me that if I didn't find coverage on my own, they would purchase it for me. I didn't want to find out they signed me up with Lloyds of London, so found my own coverage.
Deb Doodah⭐
Sat Dec 21 2019, 10:12AM

:
My next question to my husband was about rates and this is what he said:

So rates insurance companies charge must be approved by the state, unless they are a non-admitted carrier. Anyway, so the increases people are seeing were approved by the Department of Insurance, they were not just implemented by the insurance company. They probably had rates approved because they suffered substantial fire losses in those areas and so this is a means for them to remain solvent as well as stay in the state.

The Dept. of Insurance, DOI, wants to make sure they protect the public hence the moratorium on not cancelling policies for reasons of fire. Included in that protection is making sure the insurance companies remain solvent for if they are not they will not be able to cover losses of any kind that they are responsible to pay. If they do not have the money to cover losses then the state steps in to cover them. To recover their monies the state will then mandate a CIGA surcharge, California Insurance Guarantee Association, be collected from insureds who have that type of insurance. So if Company A becomes insolvent due to homeowner losses the state will mandate each insurance company doing business in the state collect a specified surcharge from each of their clients. This maybe something like $1.50 for each homeowner but that would include us even though we are not with Company A. It is best someone living in an area susceptible to fire to be charged a higher amount for it is unfair to make others in low fire risk areas cover the costs.

Sorry for the long windedness but people need to understand that it may seem unfair for an insurance company to charge more for a home in Big Bear than Chino Hills but it is also unfair for their coverage to be subsidized by others in non-hazard areas.

Jelly - I know this doesn't address your issue directly, so I will see what he says about the giant increase you received.
Airport Razz
Sat Dec 21 2019, 10:34AM
Registered Member #7434
:
Are we still paying that special 'fire tax' for living in Big Bear still or did that finally get removed?
Jellylorum
Sat Dec 21 2019, 12:17PM

Registered Member #2069
:
That fire tax we were paying to the state tax office, for CalFire - $135-175 per year, was suspended almost 3 years ago. That was the bill we used to receive from the state each year at the end of March.
ArchJohn
Sat Dec 21 2019, 01:13PM
John Acosta
Registered Member #2033
:
Thanks for posting; this is a good update to the thread on this subject from last year: [Click Here]
Website
Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top