Current Weather @ 7:02 PM Clear skies Temp 32.9º Humidity 47% Winds S 4.0mph Max Gust 20.0mph
Todays Extremes High 54.8º Low 22.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 8"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 07:00 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 51 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 52 mins  
Big Bear to Mentone   (38): 65 mins  
Mentone to Big Bear   (38): 65 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 33 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 34 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 307, Members: 8 ...
Lumbe® Jill
SrRaceFan
Bigbearkid
Sadie Girl
Tlingit
Around The Lake
mimoo
Van

most ever online: 1532
(Members: 36, Guests: 1496) on Jul 06 : 02:54pm

Members: 5193
Newest member: Rack Raider
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:

Upcoming Birthdays:
Dec 14 Dave™
Dec 14 Spiguy
Dec 15 david
Dec 15 Voyeur
Dec 15 J. R. Rodriquez
Dec 15 MrOwl
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: FIRE DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Town Hall meeting

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
Socalman
Thu Oct 11 2018, 06:29AM

Socalman
Registered Member #228
:
As a part time resident who would pay the taxes I think I would be agreeable (not happy) to paying extra taxes for the fire protection and emergency medical care.

I do agree that the resorts should pay a tax on each daily user and a tax on hotel/motel rooms is needed. The tax does not have to be so large as to discourage visitors.
njreyn
Thu Oct 11 2018, 12:52PM
Registered Member #14663
:
Florida has a resort tax, known to locals as "the rat tax." That's how FL doesn't have income tax. I suspect it's the same here in Vegas (baby). Well, along with the gambling taxes...
SSJ2012
Thu Oct 11 2018, 03:36PM
Registered Member #13817
:
Double edge sword, no one likes more taxes. But we love our firefighters up here. I’ve never heard anyone complain when they putting out a wildfire. The other night we had 2 spot fires that quickly extinguished. They could have been a bigger problem if the personnel wasn’t available. Another thing is while the valley hasn’t had extreme growth, it has aged. I’m noticing that the average age of the “local” is getting older. Sad part of getting older is older people require more medical care. Loosing current fire protection will drive up homeowner’s insurance if we can get it at all.
Cutting salaries will only force firefighters to apply in other markets. All medical calls I believe require a engine to roll with incase they have to lift the patient down the stairs.

Personally I think the department should show where current funding is coming from and the show where the money is going, would be better then saying hey we need more money. My biggest complaint is I pay over $3000 a year in property tax, and no one can tell me where it goes. Cause I’d vote to cut the airport before fire and schools. For those in Big Bear Lake, would you rather have your fire dept. or berm removal??? There’s money in current tax system that a waste, make cuts there before asking for more money.
Website
NShore.Allen
Thu Oct 11 2018, 03:50PM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
Here is the county 2027-2018 budget that shows what happens to the taxes

[Click Here]

This site reports salaries for public employee

[Click Here]

A smile is a curve that can set things a lot of things straight
-WINGNUT-
Thu Oct 11 2018, 07:37PM

Registered Member #1861
:
We will see how it turns out!
-WINGNUT-
Fri Oct 12 2018, 07:02AM

Registered Member #1861
:
[quote]

Cause I’d vote to cut the airport before fire and schools.]

SSJ, Why would you say this about the airport? Is the airport not important to this community? Do you actually know how much of your taxes go the airport? I can tell you if and when the crap hits the fan in Big Bear, the AIRPORT is the focal point.

I think its pretty funny (actually not) when people talk bad about the airport and they have not or will not look for the information. I hate to say it but Fawnskin would have been turned into a moonscape if it was not for our awesome firefighters. Oh and the airport as well. Where they based 23 helicopters!
Last year baldwin lake would have burned if it was not for our awesome firefighters and the airport housing 12 helicopters for quick turn arounds for fuel and supplies.

The airport is an important partner to the community. so let talk about taxes.

The airport receives $23 dollars per 100K assessed value.

For FY2015-16 average home value 170K

That is a total of 40 dollars a year for an assessed value of 170k

For commercial properties the average is $72 dollars a year.

So lets do a little math, bare with me I am a Big Bear Grad. $40 X 365 days = .11 cents a day.

Lets see what .11 cents gets you.

An airport where helicopters and load fuel and supplies and people to protect our valley.

An airport that has a medical helicopter based 24/7 to save you or you loved ones.

An airport to receive supplies if we have a large scale event. When all the roads are closed.
I can go on and on.

Now this may never happen. Lets hope nothing happens.
Before the airport became a Special District locals were paying the same tax. But it was goin to the County. In 1979 a group of pilots wanted to form the District and give local control to the valley and leave to money in Big Bear. For 39 years and counting the District has never asked for any money from the tax base. The District has lived within it means. The Airport may not directly affect you, you may never need to services of the Airport, but if you do they are there for the community 24/7.

Yes the airport is fiscally sound, that says a lot about the leaders you the public have picked to run the airport. I bet if there is anyone that want to know the facts about the airport the staff are happy to show you.

SSJ2012
Fri Oct 12 2018, 08:32PM
Registered Member #13817
:
The airport is important. I’ve also been around the US, helicopters don’t require a lot to refuel. Heliports in Louisiana after Katrina were up and running 1 day after the hurricane. Second, the airport does function with in its means, but also spends a lot on capital improvements. 39% for 2017 if not mistaken. The airport can also find ways to generate income unlike the Fire Dept. And the argument of saying it’s just $40 a year, it’s adds up. The wages in Big Bear aren’t in pace with cost of living. So given a choice, airport or Fire service. I choose Fire Depr. Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs have faced Fire threats and they have no airport. Plus I’m prepared in case of disaster due to living in mountains. I saw how the US government couldn’t get help to Louisiana after Katrina, I’m not going to put my faith in them.
Every government agency up here should consider cutting their budgets and giving that amount to fire dept, thus no new taxes and everyone except politicians are happy. Keep taxing the hell out of the citizens and we’ll end up with another prop 13.
Website
Polar Orbit
Fri Oct 12 2018, 08:43PM
Registered Member #14051
:
Wingnut, why does the airport need to expand so much? Taking the park on the east and eyeing another bunch of residential property. BBV will never be an Aspen or Telluride.
-WINGNUT-
Fri Oct 12 2018, 10:03PM

Registered Member #1861
:
Polar, I can tell you the airport did not pursue the park district for the park. After the crash in 80s the park deamed it until safe. In the early 2000 the park came to the airport and asked if the airport would buy the park. Which included the property that the Historical Society sits on. At that time the airport was not interested. Fast forward to a year or so ago the same thing happened. The airport decided to purchase it because of being on the end of the runway and the park promised the money would be used for a new park which Big Bear City really needs. The airport figured it was a win win for everyone. Still no Park

In regards to the north property it came up for sale. If there is vacant land that become available adjacent to airport property it is wise to purchase it. It does not allow any types of development that would create hazard to flying. Like hotels, building homes ext.

The airport has no plans the expand the runway. Not even possible. There is some crazy master plan floating around that was done 15 years ago. If you look at current layout plans they are total different. But it seems no one wants the truth these days. What ever you read in the internet must be true.

The airport has an open door. Ask questions. You might be surprised at what you see and hear.
-WINGNUT-
Fri Oct 12 2018, 10:06PM

Registered Member #1861
:
3000-5000 gallons a day is not alot? That is easy to do when a helibase is set up at the airport.
Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig (KJ6BCM), ©ammy, Lumbe® Jill, Mtn.goat John, Debbie Doodah, ***SCM ALERT***, Benny (N6BWX), Socalmountains Admin, ***WX ALERT***

Jump:     Back to top