Current Weather @ 3:14 PM overcast Temp 43.3º Humidity 81% Winds W 10.0mph Max Gust 16.1mph
Todays Extremes High 43.3º Low 33.5º Rain 0.11" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 85"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 03:00 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 45 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 46 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 66 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 69 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 35 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 39 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 185, Members: 9 ...
holeinbow
HazMatMind
Sadie Girl
WoolyBear
robk (K6RBK)
BusterBrown
wade easton
Boatmick
onur6boss

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5512
Newest member: Rocksea
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Upcoming Birthdays:
May 24 Kev250R
May 25 crbbc
May 26 Judy
May 27 Olaf
May 27 Sarah Bear
May 28 skypros
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: C.E.R.T.
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Welcome to the new CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Forum!

Author Post
Craig ⭐
Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM Email Thread Print View

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
Welcome to the new SCM CERT Forum! With the growing membership in Mountaintop CERT organizations, it seemed appropriate to create a dedicated forum for this purpose! There are several CERT members here on SCM. Thank you to all the current volunteers and congratulations to the new graduates that finished up their week long CERT training on Friday October 25th 2013!

For more Information on CERT visit:
Big Bear Valley: [Click Here]
Lake Arrowhead Area: [Click Here]
Angelus Oaks: [Click Here]

Winter can leave now... Lets try to get above 50 degrees???
Around The Lake
Sat Oct 26 2013, 02:29PM

There is no such thing as a nobody as everyone touches someone's life
Registered Member #16
:
Great idea for the site, thank you for everything all of you do.

Todd C
A Smile Goes A Long Way To Making Somebodys Day Great
©ammy ⭐
Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:03PM

:
Thanks, Craig - for making this forum.

I've been in the CERT program up here in Big Bear since 2009. Fortunately we haven't been activated on a large scale yet in that time, but it's always good to be prepared.

Since going through the training, getting the backpack, and filling it up with the recommended items, I've decided to keep it in my truck (as opposed to in the house) because it may come in handy when I'm traveling up & down the mountain, at work, offroading out in the forest, or any number of places where me and my truck are. And I always have the truck with me when I'm at home.

Something else that joining CERT got me to do was to get my ham radio license. Never before had I had any desire to get the license, but after going through the program and learning the importance of not relying on our usual methods of communication in time of a disaster, that was all it took to get me to study for and pass the test.

All the other CERT members out there on SCM - feel free to post here and offer a word of advice to the new members or to those considering joining the program in the future.
NShore.Allen
Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:56PM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
I showed the family the gear and Karen asked where I was going to keep the backpack, I said "with me". It will live in the car since I am never far from it and it will come in handy some day.

I need now to explore the amateur radio license. I learned first hand how the hams had instant info (the false fire call!) and how they would survive any infrastructure failure.

A smile is a curve that can set things a lot of things straight
©ammy ⭐
Sat Oct 26 2013, 04:25PM

:
NShore.Allen wrote ...

I need now to explore the amateur radio license. I learned first hand how the hams had instant info (the false fire call!) and how they would survive any infrastructure failure.

One of the other helpful things about a ham radio is that most (if not all) ham radios can also be used as scanners to listen to local police, fire dept. etc. communications which comes in handy in an instance like you mentioned above.

Of course, I should point out that you can LISTEN to the agencies, you can't TALK to them even with a ham radio - hams talk on different frequencies than the emergency responders.
Benny ⭐
Mon Oct 28 2013, 06:17PM

:
©ammy wrote ...

NShore.Allen wrote ...

Of course, I should point out that you can LISTEN to the agencies, you can't TALK to them even with a ham radio - hams talk on different frequencies than the emergency responders.

I should also point out, LEGALLY. A lot of the newer radios will in fact transmit on frequencies you cannot by law. It is a big felony!!! So nono, with mine I intentionally shut transmit off on those freqs so I can never accidentally do it.

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
©ammy ⭐
Mon Oct 28 2013, 07:46PM

:
Ya, I wasn't gonna mention that...
Benny ⭐
Thu Nov 07 2013, 05:46PM

:
©ammy wrote ...

Ya, I wasn't gonna mention that...

I figured it was worthy of mentioning incase people figure it out, they best know it's a felony, punishable by death!

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
©ammy ⭐
Thu Nov 07 2013, 06:57PM

:
DeanNo
Thu Nov 13 2014, 03:30PM

Registered Member #5374
:
I recently completed a CERT course down the hill where I work. I felt it was a good program and I learned some useful things. I hoe it helps me get my family more prepared for a serious incident.

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top